BRIEF HISTORY OF THE GRASSMARKET
The Grassmarket is located centrally just south of Edinburgh
Castle. The valley was carved by glaciers during the ice-age
and the area was originally designed to accommodate the horse
and cattle markets held here weekly from 1477-1911.
Cattle would be driven from the surrounding
fields through THE COWGATE in the east and WEST PORT gate to
The area was also
used to conduct public hangings, notably those of the Covenanters
in the late 17th Century but also Captain John Porteous and
Maggie Dickson who miraculously survived the noose.
Frequented in the past by historic figures such as Robert Burns
and Wordsworth, today the Grassmarket serves as a convenient
meeting point for locals and visitors alike who enjoy fashionable
shops, bars and restaurants whilst soaking up the atmosphere
with splendid views of the nearby castle.